Pages

Saturday 22 June 2019

Doris B - The experience box

I was in a bar chatting to one of my sons (he's 31).  There's some overlap in our work experience and we were talking about product development and he came up with the description "first we make things, then we break them" which is a variation on one of my mantras "if you want to learn fast, make mistakes fast".  This gives me great faith in the next generation.


Oddly, I've just cleared some space in my work room by dumping less than successful bits of wind turbine into a box.  This includes three rotor designs, two generator, several attempts at making drag buckets and does not include several Meccano constructions which have been dismantled.  Work had been progressing steadily but I came to the conclusion that the generator I was using was probably 15 years old albeit in good order.  It might have benefited from being stripped down and the bearings cleaned but I was uncertain about the state of the magnets.  As I'm about to invest some time and energy in this project, I thought it would make sense to start with a brand new one.  The new one is slightly smaller and lighter than the original, so the bucket carrier and the dynamometer ring will have to be remade.  A slightly tedious task but an opportunity to remove some defects.



The dynamometer is very simple, it consists of a length of fishing line wound onto a pulley, the line runs through a pulley/block on which a weight is hung.  As the weight descends, it turns the generator.  The Arduino works out the rotational speed and the energy generated, the rotational speed is also a measure of how fast the weight is falling allowing the input energy to be estimated which in turn allows the efficiency to be estimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment